What’s it all about?
Chakra meanings have been gathered since ancient times. These days more people are thinking about how they work and what role Chakras play within their body.
The word Chakra derives from and ancient Indian language Sanskrit and simply means vortex or “spinning wheel”. Chakras are the centres of spiritual power in the human body and are circles of energy which are said to balance, store and distribute energies of life throughout our physical body and the subtle body also known as our soul or spirit. These swirling energy centres are situated along the spinal column and are located between the base of the spine and the crown of the head.
The belief in Chakras began in India and is also practiced in Ayurvedic Medicine, said to date back to 2500 B.C. The word Ayurvedic derives from two words Ayur meaning life and Veda meaning knowledge. Ayurvedic or “Life Knowledge” Medicine observes illness as unbalance in the body which may be treated with a holistic approach of a mixture of meditation, physical exercise and herbal treatments
Chakras are typically broken down into 7 major colours. Each colour represents a type of vibration or frequency.
- 1st Chakra – Red: Physical energy, Stamina, Grounding, Spontaneity, Stability Passion.
- 2nd Chakra – Orange: Creativity, Productivity, Pleasure, Optimism, Enthusiasm, Emotional Expression.
- 3rd Chakra – Yellow: Fun, Humour, Lightness, Personal Power, Intellect, Logic, Creativity.
- 4th Chakra – Green: Balance, Harmony, Love, Social Nature, Acceptance.
- 5th Chakra – Blue: Calmness, Communication, Honesty, Self Expression, Appreciate Beauty.
- 6th Chakra – Indigo: Self Responsibility, Inner Strength, Creative Visualisation, Intuition, Calmness, Clairvoyance.
- 7th Chakra – Purple: Intuition, Imagination, Self Knowledge, Meditation, Artistic Qualities.
- 1st Chakra (Root): survival instinct, security, grounding – The red Chakra defines our relation to Earth. It impacts our vitality, passion and survival instincts. The red chakra is also indicative of our need for logic and order, physical strength and sexuality as well as the fight or flight response when faced with danger. The sense of smell in the human body is connected to the root Chakra. The gland to which the root chakra is attached is the gonads.
- 2nd Chakra (Sacral): emotions, sexuality, intimacy – The orange Chakra relates to the water element in the human body. The orange Chakra impacts sexuality, reproductive function, joy, desire and even creativity and compassion for others. The sense of taste is associated with the sacral Chakra. Glands and organs impacted by this chakra include the lymphatic system, female reproductive organs, large intestine, pelvis and bladder.
- 3rd Chakra (Naval): energy, vitality, desire & power – The yellow Chakra of this energy vortex are associated with fire, energy and charge. This element of fire, when balanced and harmonious allows one to feel more confident, cheerful and energetic along with a right amount of respect for self and others. Our sense of sight is associated with the solar plexus chakra. The glands or organs associated with solar plexus Chakra are adrenal glands.
- 4th Chakra (Heart): love, hope, compassion – The green Chakra is associates with the heart. This chakra influences our relationships and has the air element. A weak heart chakra is responsible for sabotaging the relationships through distrust, anger and envy. Sense of touch is impacted by the heart chakra and the glands connected to it are thymus and lymph.
- 5th Chakra (Throat): communication, creativity, healing – The blue Chakra is associated with the throat and refers to the our true voice. The throat Chakra is associated with our ability to communicate and listen. The glands to which the throat Chakra is attached to are the esophagus, ears, throat, thyroid, jaws, teeth and neck vertebrae. The ethereal element of the throat Chakra, when balanced, allows an individual to have pleasant voice, artistic abilities, expressive ways and also the ability to be in a higher place spiritually. The individuals with balanced throat chakra are able to meditate well and use their energy efficiently and artistically.
- 6th Chakra (3rd Eye): clairvoyance, intuition, psychic senses – The indigo Chakra is associated with knowing or monitoring. The indigo Chakra is connected to the pineal or pituitary gland. Those with a well balanced brow chakra can have telepathic abilities, charismatic personality and they often do not have any fear of death. The element of electricity or telepathy along with the Chakra colours of indigo are associated with our sense of thought.
- 7th Chakra (Crown): cosmic consciousness, understanding, enlightenment – The purple Chakra is associated with crown and is connected to the pituitary gland, nervous system, the brain and head region with its element of light. In its balanced state, this Chakra can render individuals the ability to perform miracles, transcend the laws of nature, and have a heightened awareness of death and immortality.
- 1st Chakra (Root): If you are unhappy with your body size or shape, feel you are out of control of your life and explode angrily at the smallest things, your root chakra may be weak. To gain that control back over your life and have a sense of well being you could try using red and black crystals for example Red Garnet, Red Jasper, Smoky Quartz, Black Onyx and Hematite. These crystals will aid to rebalance your root chakra.
- 2nd Chakra (Sacral): If you have a lack of energy or motivation, extremely lethargic or depressed, lacking joyfulness in your life, feeling frustrated and breaking down in tears too often your sacral Chakra may need attention. To align this Chakra you could use Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Tiger’s Eye and Sunstone. Once your sacral chakra is back in balance, you will begin to feel excitement, inspiration and motivation again.
- 3rd Chakra (Naval): Do you feel powerless, especially when you are under pressure, butterflies in your stomach and you can’t gain control over your life. Do you have an uncontrollable urge to control. Are you a “control freak”? Try using yellow gemstones such as Citrine, Yellow Jasper, Rutilated Quartz and Pyrite. Once your solar plexus Chakra is balanced, you will begin to feel motivated, focused and confident in your decisions.
- 4th Chakra (Heart): If you find yourself having problems in your relationships or feeling unattached to the people you love, it may indicate that your heart Chakra is weak. If your heart Chakra is overactive, you may find yourself becoming too attached to things, resulting in you being overly emotional all the time. To help in healing this area try green and pink crystals such as Chrysoprase, Aventurine, Rose Quartz or Rhodonite over your heart to open it up to all types of love. Once your heart Chakra becomes realigned, you will radiate love of all kinds. Your relationships will begin to strengthen again and you will feel hopeful.
- 5th Chakra (Throat): Unable to speak your truth and express yourself? When your throat Chakra is overactive, you often speak before you think, resulting in unnecessary arguments and hurtful words. When your throat Chakra becomes unbalanced you will find that you cannot articulate your thoughts clearly, leading to miscommunications and frustration. Try Crystals like Angelite, Sodalite, Blue Apatite and Aquamarine, on your throat.
- 6th Chakra (3rd Eye): If you feel you cannot visualize and organize your life then your third eye Chakra may be under active. If your third Chakra is overactive you may experience nightmares each night. You may begin to feel stuck and in an emotional rut, becoming closed off to new ideas. You may also feel as if your intuition is off and you cannot trust your “gut feelings”. Try using Angelite, Amethyst, Fluorite and Iolite,over your third eye, lie down and just relax.
- 7th Chakra (Crown): If you have an inability to think clearly when you are under pressure means that your crown Chakra is unbalanced. You may feel like you are going about life without having a specific purpose or path leaving you feeling lost. Try using crystals like Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Selenite and Moonstone to balance and align this Chakra centre.
Chakra Healing Bracelets
Shop now for Chakra Beaded Gemstone Bracelets available in Lava Stone, Tigers Eye, Agate gemstones and more.